What is this?
In web authenticator, you log in with a 2nd factor login that you have set up on the device you are logging in on. An example is if you're using a PC with Windows, you can use Windows Hello to sign in.
How does one use it?
First of all, you need to set up your 2nd factor on your device. This can be Windows Hello, touch ID, Apple ID, fingerprint with iOS (safari v14 and up) on your iPhone or iPad or via the Chrome browser for smartphones with Android. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do this.
How does one log in for the first time?
- Log in to the device you want to use as your second authenticator (e.g. your smartphone or PC)
- Go to your login page (where you usually log in) in your browser
- Log in with your username and password
- Click "Get help setting up web authentication" if you have not already set this up or click "I have already done this"
- If you have chosen to get help with the setup, then choose which device you are using and follow the guide (the same guide can be seen below)
- Your authentication method will then open automatically, which you must log in to
- You will then receive a recovery code which you must store in a safe place. The code can be used, for example, if you have forgotten your smartphone or cannot remember your password
- Congratulations you have now set up your authentication method and are logged in
You have now added fingerprints as a login factor to your phone - this can thus also be used when you log in to your user. Note: In this process, you also added a login when your screen is locked or goes to sleep.
The next time you sign in to your account in your Chrome browser on your smart phone, android fingerprints should automatically pop up asking you to sign in.
How does one log in going forward
You will need to use your second factor login (e.g. Windows Hello) every time you log in going forward.
Here's how (the procedure is the same for all devices, e.g. PC, smartphone, MAC):
- Go to your login page (where you usually log in) in your browser on the device you have set up a second factor login for
- Log in with your username and password on your PC or smartphone
- The selected authentication method should now pop up on your screen
- Log in with your login
- Congratulations, you are now logged in!